The Vestry is the elected governing body of the church. In accordance with the National Canons of the Episcopal Church, the Vestry acts as the legal and financial body of the parish.
At the Annual Meeting, a slate of four candidates is presented by the Vestry to the congregation. The candidates are confirmed on the recommendation of the Rector and Wardens. The slate of candidates is carefully chosen to ensure the Vestry has a good balance of skills, experience, and perspective.
It has been the practice of St. Bart’s not to have contested elections. This means that nominations are not made from the floor. If you are interested in serving on the Vestry or nominating someone for the Vestry, please speak to Father Jeff or the Rector's Warden, by December 1 so that you can be considered for Vestry.
Important Dates & Times
The Vestry meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 7:15 - 9 p.m.
Makeup of the Vestry
The Vestry is comprised of the Rector and 12 lay members including:
The Rector’s Warden, who works closely with the rector, primarily in an advisory role. Is also a Convention Delegate.
The People’s Warden, who works with the rector and parish administrator to coordinate care of the parish buildings and grounds. Also serves on the Memorial Garden Team and is a Convention Delegate.
The Vestry is assisted in their work by The Clerk of the Vestry and The Treasurer.
Roles and Responsibilities
People often have questions about the role of the Vestry and the role of the Rector.
Following is an overview of the responsibilities shared by both the Vestry and the Rector, responsibilities of the Vestry and responsibilities of the Rector:
• Work together to promote the spiritual welfare of the parish.
• Oversee an effective stewardship program that ensures adequate funding.
• Ensure effective and timely parish communication by listening to all voices.
• Establish and monitor ministries and services.
• Communicate with the community outside of St. Bart’s.
• Advocate for St. Bart’s as a whole.
• Practice healthy and honest communication with the parish and leaders.
• Create and manage the budget of the parish.
• Oversee and maintain the buildings of the parish.
• Provide leadership within the parish.
• Serve as a “Council of Advice” for the Rector.
• Lead and oversee the ministries of the parish.
• Plan and lead for the worship of the parish.
• Manage the staff and leadership of the parish. (Both paid and volunteer)
• Manage the use of parish property.
• Oversee pastoral care.
St. Bartholomew's Vestry
Class of 2021
Matthew Warren - Rector's Warden
Class of 2022
Gretchen Baker Anders
Class of 2023